Old February 10th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Huber

Default FLARM abuse in competitions

Why would you ever need to re-cycle it during flight?

It could re-cycle while switching batteries. I might want to shut down all
avionics for a few seconds while pressing the starter button of the engine
to avoid spikes on the avionic power bus.

Also, as I understand it, Stealth mode is only applied to the data port,
FLARM warning from the FLARM unit are not impaired.

Imagine a gaggle of competition pilots approaching your position. Based on
experience I want to stay clear of them, when the warning comes up, itīs too
late already.

Whatīs the problem, if the only difference between "stealth" and "normal"
operation is the output of the data port? During a competition "stealth" has
to be seleced by the competitors, and the setting is recorded in the IGC
file. The contest director can check the required setting after flight, and
all competition traffic is visible to non competing pilots as soon as
possible.

Michael