Old January 5th 04, 08:02 AM
robert arndt

As to real aircraft, I found that there are Harriers (AV-8 series)
currently deployed that are either VTOL, STOL, or STOVL. Are
those the only such aircraft in the US Armed Forces? Others
elsewhere?

Harrier is the only STOVL fixed-wing aircraft in US service. It's also used
by the British, Spanish, Italains, Indians, and Thai air forces and navies.
At the moment, it is the only vertical-landing fixed-wing aircraft in the
world.

I also read about the F-35 (X-35) in development for deployment
in 2008 that is supposed to come in a STOVL version (for the
Marines and Royal Navy).

Interestingly enough, the Russian are still interested in a future
modernized version of their Yak 141 Freestyle, with stealth added...
whenever funding would permit. Photo of Yak-141:

http://www.bearcraft-online.com/muse...tos/b.89.0.jpg

I think only one survives in the Russian Aviation Museum.

Maybe he saw a picture of an F-35 test plane or a Harrier and
assumed it was an F-14. Once I have some better facts, I'll try
to figure out and explain to him what he saw. So the key Q is:
Can an F-14 land safely vertically?

I can't imagine that anyone could confuse the X-35 with an F-14, but I
suppose anything is possible. They don't look at all alike.

Suggestion: go out and buy your nephew a DVD on the X-32 and X-35
competition. I saw one recently at Costco. I'm sure you can find one
online. Either that or rent "Top Gun" @ Blockbuster!

Rob