Old March 20th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 8:51:21 AM UTC-7, teck48 wrote:
I'm due for cataract surgery. Any good or bad experiences with lens implants for flying? Eye doc is recommending multi focus lenses (as opposed to mono focus). And a slightly different lens in each eye. Both multifocal, but dominant eye implant optimized for distance. Anyone have any experience? Thanks! –Tom

If you have not tried multifocal lenses, you may want to sample before you do something that is somewhat permanent. There are many multifocal contact lenses with different focal region strategies, I'd have the doctor recommend one similar to the lens and try it for a few days.

I have used multifocal contact lenses for a number of years and find that one in both eyes gives up more far vision than I would like. Multifocals trade far vision for near in general. Individuals adapt differently to these lenses, and some never adapt - that's why I'd say try before they cut.