Old October 8th 03, 12:04 AM
Windecks

In my Jepp plate binder, in addition to the published DPs, there are
obstacle departure procedures for every airport with an approach, including
those without the traditional DPs.

Here's an example of an obstacle DP for Red Bluff, CA (KRBL) which does not
have a published DP:

"Rwy 15, climb direct RBL VOR. Rwy 33, climbing right turn direct RBL VOR.
All aircraft departing RBL R-091 clockwise to RBL R-200 climb on course.
All others climb in RBL VOR holding pattern (hold south, right turns, 341
degree inbound) to depart RBL at or above: RBL R-021 clockwise to RBL R-060
4500', RBL R-061 clockwise to RBL R-090 2100', RBL R-201 clockwise to RBL
R-270 4000', RBL R-271 clockwise to R-020 2400'.

Some are much briefer, and others more complicated.

My old CFII turned me on to these, and said they are also in the NACO TERPS
books somewhere, but being a Jepp-ster, I've never seen one. The verbiage
sure sounds FAA-ish though. From a regulatory standpoint, I've never seen
the obstacle DPs referenced. I wonder if they count towards that 'any
departure procedures' you saw in 91.129

If launching IFR, even with terrain data in the cockpit on a good weather
day, I'm going to follow the obstacle DP, especially at an unfamiliar
airport.

wrote in message
I was always under the assumption that if my atc clearance received on
the ground was direct to a fix, I was free to forgo the departure
procedure and do an immediate turn after takeoff. I note that FAR
91.129, Operations in class D airspace states that:

"(g) Departures. No person may operate an aircraft departing from an
airport except in compliance with the following:
(1) Each pilot must comply with any departure procedures established
for that airport by the FAA."

So how, on a good weather delay, can one avoid flying the departure
procedure? Note the word "established" vice "assigned"

Stan