Old July 11th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Default Captain Fraidy-Cat Has a Question

Left Rudder for a right turn would have helped roll wings level, not
continue the turn to the right.

What happened to the pre takeoff ground check, Controls free and clear..
that means you can move the control (left right forward and back, all the
way around) all the way to the mechanical stop. Not to the leg or in some
cases, aft stick to the belly impact.

If the leg is in the way, then the CFC is to big to be flying the 2-33
because he cannot deflect the controls to the mechanical stop. I'm betting
that if he could have removed his left leg for the right turn, then the
controls would work as advertised.

For those not familiar with long winged gliders and steep banked turns, "top
stick" or opposite aileron is required to counter the over banking tendency.

Yaw strings are nice, but as a CFIG I can't see it most of the time anyway
from the back seat. Unless I really try to look around the front seat
pilot/student. I "sense" an out of trim condition, then look around the
front seater at the yaw string to confirm before I say something.

Take the pre-solo student out without a yaw string.

BT

"Blue Crew" wrote in message
ups.com...
An actual conversation that quite recently took place ten thousand feet
over the California desert between Captain Fraidy-Cat (CFC) and a
rather happy-go-lucky glider CFI (CFIG):

CFC: NO!! PLEASE! I'M SCARED!!!

CFIG: What are you scared of?

CFC: I DON'T KNOW!!

CFIG: Then you can't be scared. You have to at least be scared of
something. Keep your turn going.

CFC: I'M SCARED THAT SHE'S GONNA INVERT!!

CFIG: She won't. Keep your turn going.

CFC: WHEN I MAKE A TURN, THE STICK IS ALL THE WAY AGAINST MY LEG AND
IT WON'T GO ANY FURTHER!!

...but what the exhausted, flabbergasted Captain Fraidy-Cat failed to
clarify for the CFIG was that he was referring to the OPPOSITE leg,
i.e., when he was in a right turn, say, he had the stick all the way to
the LEFT, pressing on his left leg, and she still seems to be on the
verge of rolling (banking) even further to the RIGHT. And THAT is what
he was scared of.

So now we're all back on the ground in the city, all rested up and
thinking more clearly, and the question is posed to you courageous
gentlemen on this news group: Could the glider continue rolling with
hard opposite aileron? Would opposite rudder (left in the above
example) help? Type is: Schweitzer SGS 2-33.

P.S. If that thing had a decent piece of yarn for a yaw string instead
of that worn-out, raggedy, one-inch stub, this conversation might not
have taken place as such. CFC had to fly her by feel, something
usually reserved for more experienced glider pilots.