Old December 27th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default soaring into the future

"John Galloway" wrote in message
At 13:06 27 December 2007, Dan G wrote:
On Dec 27, 7:01=A0am, Steve Davis
wrote:
At 21:49 26 December 2007, Brad wrote:
Soaring
in America needs
high altitude high capacity winch launch locations,

I've always wondered why no-one in the US has imported
a Skylaunch kit
sans engine and fitted it with a locally-sourced engine
and
transmission. That would give you a powerful, controllable
winch with
a reasonable outlay.

Dan

It has always puzzled me why someone in the US hasn't
already approached Mike Grove at Skylaunch with a view
to building Skylaunches under licence instead of trying
to re-invent the winches that Skylaunch has eclipsed.
That way you would have a thoroughly proven system,
be able to source GM marine V8s and transmission units
locally, and not have to transport heavy mechanical
assemblies across the Atlantic at all.

John Galloway

Let me predict that in the near future, one and perhaps two US based
manufacturers will be offering a FAR better winch design than the Skylaunch
at a similar price. Hang tight.

Bill Daniels