Old December 27th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default soaring into the future

Bill Daniels wrote:
Let me predict that in the near future, one and perhaps two US based
manufacturers will be offering a FAR better winch design than the Skylaunch
at a similar price. Hang tight.

What's the winch community's opinion on a "hybrid" winch, which uses an
electric motor and batteries to do the launch, and a generator to keep
the batteries charged? That might give a more easily controlled,
possibly automated, power system, but retain the indpendence of a
gas/diesel winch.

Lighter weight gliders, coupled with smaller, lower cost winches that
are dead simple to operate (or can perform the launch automatically)
might do more for growing the sport than a somewhat cheaper version of
the gliders we fly now.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4