Old December 27th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring into the future

Well Steve, you need to come to the convention and meet with Brad, me,
and some other like minded folks. I completely agree with your first
post about the geezers with money, (sorry guys).

BTW are you THE Steve Davis, Genesis guy from CO?

MM

On Dec 27, 1:56*am, Steve Davis
wrote:
Hi Mat,
I'm in favor of a Marske or Genesis spar and frame
with
a PETG skin. *PETG is the clear plastic that everything
comes packaged in. *I can't bend it, scratch it and
can
barely cut it with scissors. *The stuff is everywhere,
it
can be recycled, surely it can also fly? *It can snap
together AND be ultrasonic welded. *Graphlite spars,
PETG bulkheads, ribs and stringers and the strong
shape of the Genesis. It could be done.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

At 00:01 27 December 2007, wrote:

Why did the *1-26 do so well and is STILL doing well.
For crying out
loud, they still have their own contest a billion years
after it was
introduced! * I don't understand it but we ought to
really take a hard
look at it.

I'm not saying that we want brand new 1-26s. *I sure
don't. *Brand new
Cherokee IIs either. *Tony and I have more fun per
dollar in our
little wood ships than most out there but we wouldn't
mind a little
more performance, modern materials and safety features,
easier
rigging... *But paying $25000 for it? *Are you kidding?!

The PW-5 is a fun glider but it costs a fortune to
most people and
looks wrong to most of the rest. *I don't think performance
is the
reason it didn't 'take off'

The new people we need in soaring are only going to
desire 40 or 50 to
1 if we teach them that's what they need to have fun,
earn badges,
have great flights, keep up with their friends.

Why cant we design a higher performance homebuilt quick
kit that has
basic components built by existing manufacturing processes
then
quality checked and assembled by individuals,clubs,
or commercial
operations? *A modular homebuilt (that satisfies the
51% rule) that
handles well, gets better than 35/1, climbs like a
woodstock, lands
like a PW, and runs like a Discus and costs $10k as
a kit *and $15k
finished.

Look at all the creativity and innovation that led
to the Cherokee,
the BG-12, the Duster, Scanlon, Tern, Javalin, Bowlus,
Carbon Dragon,
Woodstock, Monerai, the HPs... *Sure most of those
had 'issues' some

were real dogs, some were great. *But, they all showed
a creativity
that seems lacking today. *Imagine combining the best
aspects of these
classic American homebuilts and applying modern materials,
engineering, and manufacturing to the result.

Somebody is going to do it. *Some young genius glider
kid in Aero E at
university with no money thinking outside the box.
This isn't rocket
science. *It's evolution. *You can either be part of
the new wave or a
dinosaur.

MM- Hide quoted text -