Old January 17th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Weak link - single or reserve?

"Tom Nau" wrote in message
Hi All,

Our commercial operation (more like a club) is starting to do winch
launches. I just bought a Tost weak link for my glider from W&W. Are
most people using a "single" weak link or a "single and a reserve"
weak link? Thanks.

Tom Nau

I think the reality is that it's about 50-50.

IMHO, I like the Tost reserve link system. Highly stressed metal does
fatigue so a single weak link will get weaker with each launch until it
eventually breaks under normal loads. The reserve link with the slotted
hole provides a second, reserve link to take the loads should the primary
fail at less than its rated strength. Using a reserve link avoids
unnecessary weak link failures.

There are "gotchas" though. Someone has to make very sure that two links of
the same type aren't accidently used. If that happens, you have effectively
doubled the weak link strength.

You also have to inspect the double link before each launch to see if the
primary failed on the previous launch. But then, you should be doing that
anyway to insure that you are using the right link color for the glider
being launched.

My suggestion is to choose a paint color signicicantly different that the
regular Tost weak link colors - say hot pink or day-glo. Then, dip one end
of the slotted links in the paint as soon as you get them so anyone can tell
at a glance that "two-tone" links are the slotted kind.

Bill Daniels