Old January 18th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Weak link - single or reserve?

Hi Bert,

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:39:01 +0100, "Bert Willing"
wrote:

Using a single weak link is a bad idea because the lifetime of a weak link
under load is limited (i.e. after x launches it has a good chance to fail
under much less than the nominal rupture load).

At least for my club I cannot confirm that - we have weak links (blue,
red and brown) that are several years old.

I'm pretty sure that the life expectancy depends on the type of ground
- weak links that impact tarmac after release are more prone to fail
than ones that hit comparably soft grass.

Usually the weak link on our aero tow rope fail pretty early due to
bending when they hit the (grass-) runway at 60 kts.

Bye
Andreas