Old January 18th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default Weak link - single or reserve?

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:16:22 GMT, "Malcolm Austin"
wrote:

At our club (Denbigh GC, UK) we changed the steel wire for a type of
polypropylene
rope. The shock absorbing properties of this have reduced the incidence of
weak link
breaks to almost zero.

I know of a club that also used a polypropylene rope between aircraft
and weak link.
They stopped using that after this rope got entangled within the gear
of an ASK-21, leading to a severe ground loop immediately prior to
lift-off.

The stiffness of the steel wire prevents such an event.

Bye
Andreas