Old April 9th 04, 10:58 PM
Jim

The exeption to the rule when NoPT is absent from the chart is when you are
cleared straight in either via radar vectors or via a clearance, otherwise
you are expected to do the PT when you arrive over the fix that begins the
procedure turn. Because you were given a radio hand off to the local
frequency, I would have taken that to mean you were cleared straight in via
your clearance to NEPCO, but when in doubt ask, because as you say, you were
probably below radar coverage. I would have responded with something like
"N1234 cleared direct NEPCO, straight in SDF 2, frequency change approved"
That's usually what I do when comeing from the north into STE on the GPS 21
and I usually get a "roger" or "read back correct". If he wants you to do
the full procedure turn that would give him a chance to make his clearance
clearer
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message

Jim wrote:

I'm kind of confused.
When or how did he actually clear you for the approach?

He cleared me for the approach about 10 miles out and then approved a
freq change. The paproach does not say "NO PT", so is it legit to
assume that I do not need to do one?

If he cleared you for the appoach and also cleared you direct NEPCO,

then
you just shoot the approach straight in on the SDF once established on

the
localizer. Since you were approaching from the south, no procedure turn

is
necessary.

It does not say that in the approach plate.

If he only cleared you to NEPCO, but didn't clear you for the approach,

then
you should expect further clearance or enter the hold.

I don't think he would have given you a frequency change if he expected

you
to do the full approach including the procedure turn, I'd only expect to

get
the hand off after I was inbound crossing the IAF.