Old September 20th 04, 05:52 PM
Theecmo

Mike,

The idea of an escort is to keep the "bad guy" in your sights so that if
things go horribly wrong you are able to take him down right away. There is
supposed to be a no-fly bubble around all ships at sea (I forget how big,
but something like 1,000 feet sticks in my memory). Theoretically you are
not to fly within that bubble, but then again, in peacetime, the only way to
enforce that is to send off a stinging note to the offenders ambassador.

"Mike P." wrote in message
. ..

"Pechs1" wrote in message
bfoong- Does anyone know what and why a Corsair may be doing escorting

soviet recon plane alongside a more dedicated interceptor? BRBR

All aircraft on a CV can be called upon to escort a Soviet A/C. On

Midway,
sometimes the alert 5 was A-7s only, with a Aim-9, as the wind was too

low
for
F-4s to fly.

It was all about finding the Soviet A/C and providing escort as it found

the
CV. Taking pictures, that sort of thing. I have escorted many Badgers,

Bears
and Mays and have often been joined by A-7s and A-6s...no big deal.

I may have misunderstood - correct me if I'm wrong - but are you saying

the
escort aircraft would allow (or escort) the Soviet aircraft close to the
aircraft carrier so it could take pictures rather than escorting it away
from any ships? If so, why?

Mike