Old September 21st 04, 12:03 AM
Dave in San diego

(Pechs1) wrote in
:

bfoong- Does anyone know what and why a Corsair may be doing
escorting a soviet recon plane alongside a more dedicated interceptor?
BRBR

All aircraft on a CV can be called upon to escort a Soviet A/C. On
Midway, sometimes the alert 5 was A-7s only, with a Aim-9, as the wind
was too low for F-4s to fly.

It was all about finding the Soviet A/C and providing escort as it
found the CV. Taking pictures, that sort of thing. I have escorted
many Badgers, Bears and Mays and have often been joined by A-7s and
A-6s...no big deal. P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Hey, Pechs and ECMO, remember NorPac '82, the "deceptive transit", and
the surprise we gave the Russians who were paying more attention to the
Big E? I have pix of the Russian flying around us after that when they
followed the A-6's back to the boat.

Dave in San Diego