Old November 1st 13, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying my first glider

On Friday, November 1, 2013 4:52:07 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Pilots,

Thanks for all your help in the prior thread about selecting a ship:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/USacPAI8Pm4

I've decided on an ASW 27, Ventus 2, or LS6. If a pristine ASW20 or Ventus C were to show up, I would strongly consider one of those as well.

There is a ship I'm considering in South Carolina. I'm in contact with the seller, however, he seems busy and has only sent minimal info and a few pictures.

I was considering having an A&P person inspect the ship before I went through the expense of a flight from Seattle to South Carolina. Is that a good idea? Has anyone done that? Any tips on what to ask for?

If the inspection works out, and I fly out and decide I like the ship, does anyone know of a company or service to use to ship a glider across the country (and can recommend)?

Thanks!

-Jason

Jay,
If this guy has not sent detailed info forget him and move on. I wasted a two day trip on someone like this. Vague description and the glider was low time and only a few years old but it was in terrible shape. Soaring is a small community so you can probably get a hold of someone who is familiar with this ship you are looking at and it doesn't need to be a licensed mechanic. You are correct that it is good to ask around. Join the Yahoo groups for the ships you have mentioned. The last two ships I bought never made it to the classifieds. They came up word of mouth thru Yahoo groups.