Old January 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Filing direct with GPS

pgbnh wrote:
The installation of the GNS530 is complete. The learning is just begun. But
since I now have equipment which allows it, what is the likelihood of
receiving 'cleared as filed' if I file direct to a destination a few hundred
miles away?
Is this not what 'Free Flight' was supposed to be about?

The few times I've tried it I've gotten CAF. If it looks like hard IFR I'll
file direct for the IAF for the field I'm shooting for, and then direct to the
field. I don't know if it makes a difference, that's just what I do. I was out
of flying for 15 years (1990-2005) and GPS snuck in while I was gone. Others
probably do it different or better.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE