Old May 1st 05, 04:49 AM
Jeff Shirton

"Morgans" wrote in message

You seem to be basing your argument on "the freezing point of water is
32", and assuming that this means that any H2O at 32 will be solid
"frozen".

However, it is equally true that "the melting point of water is 32",
which
means that when solid water gets to 32 degrees, it melts (at that temp.)
and becomes water (at that temp.)

True. It actually needs to get sligtly below 32.0 to freeze.

Sorry, but wrong again.

It will completely freeze *before* going below 32 degrees.

Where do you get your "information" from, anyway?

That is to say, once water reaches the freezing point, it doesn't
"instantly" change to ice. More heat is needed to be released
until it to solidify, and the latent heat of fusion is *much* more
than the heat needed to be lost to reduce temp.

True, but that has nothing to do with the water temperature.

Certainly it does.

Change of state doesn't happen until the water is reduced
to 32 degrees.

And then lowering of ice temperature below 32 degrees
doesn't happen until all the surrrounding water (in contact
with the ice) has solidified.

The amount of kinetic energy in the waves, again is not the issue. Not
time, only temperature. When it goes below freezing, it freezes.

Wrong again.

When it goes below freezing, it is already *frozen*.

I don't give a rat's a** how much energy has to change
hands to get to the temperature.

When one must resort to vulgar language, it is an admission
that you have already lost the argument. You have already
demonstrated your lack of knowledge in this area, I'm afraid
at this point you will need to support your novel ideas with
actual evidence before they will be believed.

Besides, the amount of kinetic energy in waves compared
to the energy exchange to freeze water is negligible.

And the latent energy of fusion needed to transform the
liquid water to solid ice is anything *but* "negligible",
and no temperature change happens until the change of
state is complete. That's what you don't seem to understand.

At the melting/freezing point, the energy change ceases to
change the temperature, and *instead* goes towards changing
the state of the water.

And as others have noted, the fact that the lake isn't pure
water throws the "32 degrees" number right out the window.
I don't know where you're getting this "32.1 degrees" or
"slightly below 32 degrees" numbers, but you seem to be
making them up out of thin air.

You might want to review some high school or college
physics textbooks, or else review the following:

http://www.google.ca/search?num=100&...#267,17,Water: Warming Curveetc. Jim in NC--Jeff Shirton jshirton at cogeco dotca Keep thy airspeed up, lest the earth come from below and smite thee. — William KershnerChallenge me (Theophilus) for a game of chess at Chessworld.net!