Old July 2nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default Hobbs

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Larry R wrote:
Ok, I am *almost* embarrased to ask this question, but here goes. Do
Hobbs meters ever "go bad"?

Sure, it's a mechanical device.

On two occasions over the last few years, my Hobbs has failed to move.

For this reason, I always note my tach time and time off. The extra
start numbers will help just in case I don't notice for a while that the
Hobbs isn't running, and I need to have a fuel consumption figure.

Sometimes, unscrupulous owners will wire the Hobbs to the master switch,
so you get charges whenever the MS is ON.

I have hated Hobbs ever since I discovered them 40+ years ago, since you
pay full rate for taxi and hold times.

An air switch is available, but hardly anybody uses them.