Old November 30th 04, 11:29 PM
Dan Thomas

(Thomas Ploch) wrote in message . com...
What I would really like to know, and don't seem to find anywhere, is
how is a tailwheel like a Scott SUPPOSED to work. In other words, is
the released condition only for performing tight ground manuvers or is
it expected to release or castor in other situations? Does it
release differently when there is weight on the tailwheel than when I
have the tail raised during preflight inspection? Overall, I would say
the functioning of entire tailwheel mechanism is a little bit of a
mystery.

It will caster if it's forced past a certain angle of pivot. An
internal mechanism disengages the steering arm from the wheel fork.
This is designed to occur at a point well past the angle that the
rudder/wheel steering springs will take it at full rudder deflection.
You wouldn't want it to disengage before full rudder travel,
certainly, as you might be trying to stop a bad swing on the runway
using the rudder, and the wheel needs to be engaged.
The wheel should disengage freely enough if you are taxiing and
apply full rudder and some brake. The springs will let the wheel pivot
far enough to let the lock disengage. Weight on the wheel shouldn't
make much difference, except that the steering spring length might
shorten a bit and make disengagement easier when the tail pushes down
on the wheel, flexing the tailspring.

Dan