Old August 13th 05, 01:49 AM
JJS

I would be a bit concerned on that. There are AD's against some mags' impulse
couplings (like mine... O-360 with Bendix). Basically, the little tabbies that are
supposed to catch and load the spring get worn. Also, there is a bad type of rivet
that holds them on the impulse coupling. If the pivot point on the catch tabs are
worn, it could be binding enough once in awhile so gravity won't drop them where they
need to catch. If these couplings fail and fall apart, they'll drop a bunch of little
steel pieces in the accessory housing and likely jam up the gears. Since important
things like the camshaft run on those, it could ruin your day.

Even if they aren't the type with ADs on them, I'd take the mags off an have a
looksee. It doesn't take that long to take them off and look. Also, it's typical for
only one mag on the Cherokees to have a impulse coupling. Does yours have one on
both?

All AD's are complied with on my airplane. I just have the one impulse coupling on the left mag. We'll pull the mag
and look hard at the area you describe. Thanks Cory.