Old February 15th 04, 05:07 AM
Buzzer

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:16:52 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
Buzzer wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:10:20 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

If it weren't for "fancy software," nobody could have even operated
"old" jamming tech. Pretty much everything since 1970 has relied on
computing power to handle the actual work when it comes to ECM, and the
operator does larger-scale management.

The computing power on B-52H ECM up to the early 80's when I retired
was still mostly the EWO. SAC wasn't exactly a leader in ECM
technology..

The B-52 ECM suite at that time was still basically 1950s tech.
Hydraulically-tuned magnetrons and the like.

No. The hydralic-tuned transmitters, ALT-6B/ALT-22, had been replaced
completely by then. At least on our H models. The main high power
stuff was the souped up 60's era voltage tuned BWO ALQ-155s, but they
hadn't been hooked together yet for power management. Still turn the
knob to change freqs. Some of the other newer stuff, TWTs mainly, was
basically about as far as you could go digital, but still not really
"computer" controlled..