Old July 7th 17, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default Flying during a Solar Eclipse

years back, I soloed a student in a 2-33...then a 1-26 same day...he went up and set a junior altitude state record...then the eclipse...

Gliders come down and land during a solar eclipse...no lift at all the rest of the day!

Cookie

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 1:59:24 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Ok - here is a question for the FAR experts:
On August 21, there will be a total solar eclipse occurring - among other places - over South Carolina. The duration of the total eclipse is around 2min 35 seconds.
Is this considered night time? Can I fly a glider under VFR-daytime rules during this time?

Uli
'AS'