Old July 25th 07, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default I just have to get it off my chest.

Don Pyeatt wrote:
"Casey Tompkins" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:03:00 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

Don Pyeatt wrote:
If the others were as good as some people seem to attest, then
the whole planet would have taken on these wonderful, free
packages - but that hasn't
happened.

Let us reformulate: If the health bonuses were as good as some
people seem to attest, then the whole planet would have stopped
smoking by now - but that hasn't happened.

Catch my drift?

I'm trying to get into a "which is better" argument per se, but OE
is not, never has been, and never will be a full-blown newsreader,
any more than WordPad is a true word processor. My orientation is
more towards appropriate/legitimate arguments, and how to solve the
problem.

If, however, your needs are served by that application, knock
yourself out. Just please don't try to tell me it's a newreader.

Also, the approach of "argument by simplicity" falls apart upon
examination, especially if one side gets to define simplicity as
"what I'm used to." Heck, I was used to DesqView interrupt-driven
multi-tasking under MS-DOS long before Win95 came along. Yet I was
finally dragged -kicking and screaming- into Windows-world.

You want simplicity? Fine, let's go back to TTY terminals and
analog-coupled 300bps modems. THAT'S simple! Or text-only usenet
readers/browsers like LYNX. THAT'S simple.

I think I've outlined the two major challenges for binaries groups:
individual posting, and bulk posting. I may be wrong (not having
exhaustively tested every newsreader on the market) but they should
have an option to disable yEnc encoding for uploads. I've already
done that with Agent. That's step one. The other challenge is
finding a bulk uploader as powerful and as inexpensive as Power
Post v11b (yEnc). If there were a non-yEnc version available, I
would switch to that in a heartbeat, just to keep the peace.

Another analogy, possibly on topic, just occured to me. Supposedly
Ernst Udet checked out the new Bf-109 Willy Messerchmidt was
developing, then told the designer that once he added a second wing
and lost the canopy he would have a great fighter.

I would venture to suggest that, perhaps, the non-yEncers just don't
get the whole "glass over the head" thing...

Please note that I never have, and never will make claims as to
yEnc's "superiority." It's there, and we have to deal with it. I
did with a simple point upgrade to Agent. As Don originally said,
YMMV.

No, I did not.

What I said was, "Other than yEnc, what will your agent do that OE
will not?"

gdp

His newsreader is causing problems with attributions.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton