Old December 13th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default Angle of attack

On Dec 13, 7:10 am, Scott wrote:
This is an interesting topic. How exactly does the horizon give you
angle of attack reference?

It does NOT give an angle of attack reference.

The pitch attitude (horizon) differs from AOA by the climb angle. See
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/aoa.html for a good explanation.

While I agree that understanding of AOA is crucial for a pilot. I
don't think that a AOA indicator would be very useful in gliders.
(except for flight testing of a new design)

I think that stall accidents are caused by lack of awareness and lack
of attention. Letting the airspeed "creep away" and incorrectly
responding to the loss of airspeed. Substituting an AOA dial for the
airspeed dial, won't change that.

AOA gauges seem best suited for heavy aircraft flown by reference to
instruments. Where you might have to wait a couple of minutes after
setting the AOA and power lever to get the airspeed to respond.
Gliders will change their airspeed much quicker than a 747 or F-14.
We also only really fly at 2 or 3 different weights. No ballast, half
or full. So we only really have to remember the best L/D speed for
these conditions.

Todd Smith
3S