Old September 13th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Denis wrote:
Doug Haluza a écrit :

Now as far as OLC goes, there is no sporting aspect to the N-number
placement. Putting N-numbers on the gear doors does not provide any
meaningful competitive advantage. And it does not show up in the flight
log. So we would not be concerned with this in the OLC.

Is there a sporting aspect to the presence of night lights ? Does it
provide any competitive advantage ? Or does it show up in the flight log ???

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?

The flying past sunset does give a competitive advantage, since it
extends the length of the day, and therefore the distance covered. And
it does show up in the flight log. Since night lighting is very rare on
gliders, the pilot needs to make a note on the OLC claim if the glider
was equipped with lights.

Now as for whether we should allow night flight in gliders equipped
with lights, FAI has not yet covered this in the Sporting Code. It
still permits night flight with lights. Obviously, night cross country
in gliders is very dangerous, due to the possibility of an outlanding
in a dark field, so I hope we don't have to wait until someone dies to
address this.