Old October 16th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Towrope tensions....Part II

We are almost there.......RR threw out a nugget of using 1600# towrope which is a good established practice. That will be my start point. Then SF tacked on the ‘shear’ strength of the tow hook attachment system, which is where I am at now. I am using 125,000 psi tensile strength bolts which , if I remember my engineering from years pass using the 60% rule, equates to approx. 75,000 psi shear strength.
So, the tow hook/tailwheel assembly is attach to a 1” rod with two bolts which in turn attach to the aircraft fitted assembly. Does the tailwheel assembly system strength exceed the breaking strength of the rope, and by how much?
I do not know how to convert psi to pull strength (pounds).