Old January 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Henry_H@Q_cyber.org[_1_]

Default Was the Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp the best engine of WW II?

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:55:15 -0600, Bobby Galvez

Lets see, I have a real hard time with P&W insect names, (especially
with the "Twin" and "Double" what's the dif?)

Well it looks like somebody over there owes you an apology. See that you get it.
Nobody should give you a hard time. Ever.

I agree. But, I do not expect any apology.

I would have been happy if some one would have just explained it for
me. But, since they did not, I tried to figure it out for myself.

My cut is:

Desigination Name rows cylinders bore stroke
Displacement (according to me)
R-985 Wasp Junior 1 9 5.2 5.2 993.9017088
R-1340 Wasp 1 9 5.75 5.75 1343.807128
R-1535 Twin Wasp Junior 2 14 5.1875 5.1875
1534.946567
R-1690 Hornet 1 9 6.125 6.375 1690.541286
R-1830 Twin Wasp 2 14 5.5 5.5 1829.39295
R-2800 Double Wasp 2 18 5.75 6 2804.46705
R-4360 Wasp Major 4 28 5.75 6 4362.5043

I had several problems, but mainly it seems fairly simple.

First they had the "Wasp" and then they had the "Twin Wasp". The
"Twin" didn't mean what I once thought that it was composed of two
banks that were "twins" of the singel row version. It just mean that
there were two rows.

Then they had the "Double Wasp" which was, fairly close, two "Wasps".

(stuff that gave me a hard time snipped)

The Pacific was a whole different story, and the R-2800 was more
important there, but lets face it, the Pacific was a sideshow.

Yeah.

Pearl Harbor, Doolittle, Corregidor, Bataan, Guadalcanal, Midway, Hiroshima,
Nagasaki .... why do historians even bother mentioning them?

No one said that side shows couldn't be interesting.

BTW AFAIK, there were no R-2800s involved in any of the spots you
mention.

I guess that the engines that were the U. S. "MVPs" in those cases
we

Pearl Harbor R-1830
Doolittle C-W R-2600
Corregidor
Bataan
Guadalcanal R-1830
Midway (I have to think about that)
Hiroshima C-W R-3350
Nagasaki C-W R-3350

There were few, if any Merlins, either. The ETO wouldn't turn loose of
them.

..... why do historians even bother mentioning them?

Too much time on their hands?

Actually, as I already said, the Pacific was important, it just wasn't
the "engine showcase."

Henry_H.

Sheesh!!!

BobbyG