Old May 2nd 16, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 1:52:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 2:24:01 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 9:05:28 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 12:24:29 AM UTC-4, Bill T wrote:

It is my understanding that The FAA no longer considers a pilot with a certificate, a student. They are a rated pilot in search of additional ratings.
Hence they do not require a written test going from airplane to glider. As shown in other posts on RAS, the way to be considered a student is to turn in all your certificates and start from scratch, a student, complete with written tests and student limitations,

This appears to work differently for PPL-Power and PPL-Glider.

In March 2016, I asked the Portland ME FSDO whether my PPL-Glider certificate would allow me to solo a power plane (assuming current medical and CFI endorsement). They told me (in writing) that I needed to obtain a valid Student Pilot license.

Has anyone obtained a different opinion from a different FSDO?

I'm hoping that IACRA is programmed correctly, and lets me obtain a student pilot certificate, even though I already hold a PPL-Glider.

I believe they are incorrect.
You are a private pilot and no longer act as a student, even though you may be subject to the training and solo constraints associated with the airplane instruction.
UH

Does that mean if he is not current in gliders he can not solo an airplane?

My take is that based on the Beard interpretation, he would have to have a flight review in the aircraft he is rated in for a solo endorsement in SEA to be valid