Old September 26th 04, 06:56 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Guy Alcala
writes
John Keeney wrote:

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
What's he on about, you ask. Well, it struck me that perhaps we could
award a similar trophy, to be awarded to the most outrageous loon
(lune?) who posts to the NG. Past holders would have included Venik,
Kurt Plummer and good ole John Tarver. The current holder would have to
be Denyav. The poster of a subsequent outrageously loony posting would
be awarded the trophy until the next one.

I don't know, Peter. I wouldn't ever have classified Kurt as
a loon to begin with: over enthused, yes, maddeningly fond
of acronyms, hell yes.
But a loon? No, heck it might even be useful for some R&D
staff to keep him around for the flow of ideas.

While I agree with you re Kurt not being a loon, I think I'd have to disagree
on your R&D group suggestion. Think of the extra overhead involved -- they'd
either all have to be sent to the Defense Language Institute at Monterey to
learn how to understand Kurt's prose, or else develop a computer translation
program to decode all the acronyms and Plummerisms, and constantly update the
database as new ones are added. The last item by itself is a full-time job.
Granted, familiarity with Kurt's style does help with the decoding, but it's
just not worth the investment of time and energy for a small R&D shop.

Guy (who doesn't miss having to read and decipher plummerisms such as
"Dorito'd" or "Just so the Monkey can push the Pulsar button")

Yes, you're both right (how often do you see _that_ in this ng?). My
apologies to Kurt Plummer for classifying him as a loon. The common
factor is their incomprehensibility, I suppose. Some people get even
more obscure the more you ask for clarification.

Did you remember those expressions, Guy, or did you look them up?
If the former, please get help soon! :-)
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!