Old September 27th 04, 12:31 AM
Guy Alcala

"Paul J. Adam" wrote:

In message , John Keeney
writes

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
What's he on about, you ask. Well, it struck me that perhaps we could
award a similar trophy, to be awarded to the most outrageous loon
(lune?) who posts to the NG. Past holders would have included Venik,
Kurt Plummer and good ole John Tarver. The current holder would have to
be Denyav. The poster of a subsequent outrageously loony posting would
be awarded the trophy until the next one.

I don't know, Peter. I wouldn't ever have classified Kurt as
a loon to begin with: over enthused, yes, maddeningly fond
of acronyms, hell yes.
But a loon? No, heck it might even be useful for some R&D
staff to keep him around for the flow of ideas.

Sorry, but Kurt was a bit of a fanatic on a few issues. We're not
talking R&D - there's an office-full of guys next door to me doing just
that for "how do we use UAVs at sea?" and actually *using* the kit to
learn what it can do rather than just blindly accepting brochure claims.
(For example, one US UAV lost its chance for a trial because it was
unable to safely be landed aboard a frigate - the sort of trivial detail
Kurt sneered at but is crucial to actually *using* the equipment).

Kurt would say "Bwahahahahahah! You IDIOTS!" for not already having...
er... something in service to do... well... something... but it's a
FANTASTIC idea and it's all the fault of SITM BTC dinosaurs that his
proposed SOTAMC isn't SIAWU across a WROOWS.

Please stop now, I'm getting the kind of headache I haven't had for about
three years;-)

"Loon" might be too strong, but he didn't connect closely to reality, or
play well with others... and imagination is the easy part.

Kurt definitely went spinning off the deep end before he left us, as, with a
wave of his hand and a Hi-Yo, Silver!, he'd make all the practical
difficulties go away. But no, he wasn't a loon. You can be a unpleasant
fanatic, and still not be a loon.

Guy