Old January 4th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Resource for choosing a plane?

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:28:17 -0700, "Douglas Paterson"
wrote:

So, I've decided to go for my first airplane. As I get started looking for
"the" airplane, I'm hoping I can find some help here in narrowing my
choices. The more I look, the more overwhelmed I get. I'm starting to
think that finding & buying the damn thing will be anticlimactic--deciding
*what* to buy is the hard part!!

Actually, deciding which plane to buy is the easy part! The hard part
is finding one with the right features (panel, paint, interior,
engine), good condition, and at the right price.

What I'd really like to find is some sort of direct comparison tool--like
you find in an auto magazine, say--such as a table with columns listing
features,

See risingup.com for a list of manufacturers performance claims.

Thoughts:
It sounds like I want a Mooney for speed & fuel economy, a Dakota for
lifting, and Bonanza for size--or something like that!

With the high DA's I would consider a turbo. A turbo Lance will
probably be the lowest cost 6-place turbo.

You are correct to be more concerned about op costs than acquisition
costs. Minus cost of money, you will get your acquisition costs back
when you sell. Op costs can be dramatic if maintenance is considered.
I imagine you will pay $2k/year for insurance on a $100-125k
6-seater. Fuel costs close to $4.00/gallon @ 16gph = $64/hr. Hangars
are $2-600 per month at many airports. Factoryengines.com lists an
overhaul on a TIO540 engine (for the Turbo Lance) at $40k. Annuals
and misc maintenance will probably be several thousand more per year.
Bottom line, you can easily spend $15-20k/year owning, maintaining,
and operating a complex 6-place.

Good luck, and have fun searching!
Nathan