Old January 26th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Default What do you think of mandatory FLARM at Uvalde?

On 1-25-2011 23:06, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:42:02 +0000,
wrote:

So, are you suggesting that laws
be broken just because they are perceived to be a safety device and to
just use them anyway?

No.

To repeat myself:
What I'm suggesting is that an organizer who is prohibiting the use of
effective safety equipment should not be allowed to run any
competition, especially not the most prestigious one.

Cancel the WGC at Uvalde if there is no way to use FLARM legally.

I'm still not 100% sure I understand. Are you implying it is unsafe to
fly without FLARM and nobody should be able to host a "World" event if
FLARM is not allowed? I assume you are from outside the USA. When
Americans fly in competitions overseas, can we use stuff that is legal
in the USA but not legal in the hosting country? Why should the hosting
country have to allow a technology that is not legal there?

Have you ever heard of a Nascar or Formula 1 race where the rules
*prohibited* drivers from wearing their safety belts?

I don't know of any countries where safety belts are illegal. Safety
belts are not transmitters that could interfere with radio receivers
already installed in aircraft or interfere with other licensed radio
services.

Andreas