Old February 2nd 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Air Mass (Blue dot) on Butterfly

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:54:50 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just wondering if the users Air-avionics Butterfly, find the air mass measurement helpful (Blue dot)? Do you find this measurement more accurate and less susceptible to gusts? this data v the vario data? Are you using this data instead of the vario derived Netto?

I do. It is different than the baro data, and requires interpretation. I set it for an 80% inertial component, at 100% I find it too twitchy to use. It will often lead the baro by a useful amount (about 1 sec) and in gusty conditions can give you more information about vertical vs. horizontal gusts. I can use it to thermal with the prop boom up, the baro vario is fairly useless for that. I'll use it in bumpy or gusty thermals try to get more information about the structure.