Old March 31st 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Default Damn you, COVID-19!!!

Hope you get up soon, though I doubt you'll receive much sympathy from those of us still living in winter weather! Good of you to reintroduce a new Coronavirus thread, the other thread was getting a bit too personal.

You've read about this anti-malarial/lupus drug, hydroxychloroquine, plus antibiotic (azithromycin) combination as a potential treatment/prophylactic for Covid-19. Lots of conflicting info out there and there are several tests ongoing, so I'm not offering an opinion that it works. Just a reminder that the FDA does not need to approve these drugs for use as an antiviral. Your physician is allowed, however, to prescribe any FDA approved drug (which both of these are) for any off-label use he/she deems might be useful and the side-effects don't outweigh the potential benefit (companies which sell these drugs are not allowed to promote this off-label use, but they can distribute published data on such use). Again, I have no inside info that they work against the virus but before all the reports are complete, one option is to discuss this with your MD/OD if you develop symptoms that are between "you've caught it, but go back home until it gets worse" and "I can't breath". Apparently there are some well-intending patients that wait too long before getting treatment and the guidance seems rather ill-defined (no pun).