Old November 19th 18, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

I have both an iPad mini 4 and a Nexus 7 Android.Â* The iPad has better
visibility in the sunlight, but the operating system continually ****es
me off with demands to plug it in and lock it so that it can be backed
up.Â* It also quits if it sits in the sun. Between the brighter screen on
the iPad and the friendlier operating system and wealth of applications,
I like the Android much better.

I have a Trig 22 and ADS-B out in my glider and I also have a portable
WAAS GPS which will receive all of the ADS-B in targets, weather, TFRs,
etc.Â* I haven't used that in the glider yet, but it's coming.

On 11/18/2018 4:13 PM, wrote:
I should clarify why I am not simply going PowerFLARM to the ClearNav...

1. I spend a lot of time with the ClearNav zoomed in, especially while thermalling early in the flight (which is near the airport and higher density power traffic).

2. When thunderstorms pop up, it would be nice to have the ADS-B weather function to help me find the best route home.

3. A portable receiver and iPad would allow me to use the equipment when flying another airplane.

I'm not set on this direction. Just trying to see what the best option would look like if I chose this route.

--
Dan, 5J