Old November 19th 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 3:13:38 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I should clarify why I am not simply going PowerFLARM to the ClearNav...

1. I spend a lot of time with the ClearNav zoomed in, especially while thermalling early in the flight (which is near the airport and higher density power traffic).

2. When thunderstorms pop up, it would be nice to have the ADS-B weather function to help me find the best route home.

3. A portable receiver and iPad would allow me to use the equipment when flying another airplane.

I'm not set on this direction. Just trying to see what the best option would look like if I chose this route.

You need to think about what display/flight book software you want. That will likely drive decisions. e.g. lots of folks want Foreflight (I do)... that means an iPad.

Remember to plan to add a TN-70 or TN-72 GPS to the Trig TT-22 to get ADS-B Out for full ADS-B traffic services and/or if you need full post 2020 ADS-B Out compliance. And when that ADS-B Out is configured make sure the ADS-B In links are correctly described so you get those TIS-B traffic services (it's easy for folks doing that configuration to miss portable ADS-B receivers).