Old October 18th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

It came to my attention that I should clarify that my earlier comments apply only to what happens after the 2020 season. For those of you who don’t read the minutes from the Rules Committee meetings or missed the announcements, here is the plan laid out last November.

2019
Make adjustments to US Rules to add FAI-like AT turn cylinders and finish configuration.
Develop and begin execution of plans for 2020 contest trials and longer-term transition – rules, local procedures, training and change management, handicaps (esp Sports Class), PRL and UST implications, systems integration with SSA.org, SoaringSpot, FAI ranking, financial implications.

2020
Run 3-4 trial contests (including 2 Nationals) under a US rule system based on FAI – contests should be of sufficient size to reach a significant proportion of the pilot community, particularly the most active pilots
Collect detailed pilot feedback and input from trials

2021
Roll-out of “final” rules and systems, infrastructure, training, fees, etc. based on trial system plus adjustments based on learnings/pilot feedback/refinement.

We have made some tweaks to the plan as we have progressed and discovered constraints or important considerations but it’s still basically the direction we are headed.

I’ll also apologize for some ill-chosen adjectives in my prior post.. I meant no disrespect. Changes this substantial can be wrenching and require careful planning and vetting which require open dialog and communication, but without personal invective. I crossed my own line and I’m sorry about that.

Andy Blackburn
9B