Old August 26th 03, 07:06 PM
John Bell

Do you mean to say they compensate for the lack of realignment by using
the
navaid's published "declination" instead of the actual alignment of

magnetic
north? I am skeptical.

My understanding is they use an approximation like a best-fit polynomial

or
similar to derive the magnetic declination at any given location.

Dave,

From what I can tell through experimentation with the Garmin 196, GPS 400
simulator, and 295 it appears that these GPS receivers use the navaid's
published variation instead of the approximation that you mention second.
The GPS III Pilot does not use the published variation.

If you want to do some experimentation, use SWL (Snow Hill on the east coast
of Maryland). Try the OBS mode and notice that it does not match the COURSE
or DTK. Try creating a user waypoint at the same point and you will notice
that the OBS mode works differently.

I have an example in my book on page 138 of the .pdf file under
Miscellaneous. It is page 9-14 of the printed copy.

I am always open to corrections.

John
www.cockpitgps.com