Old April 26th 20, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

On Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 1:38:33 PM UTC-4, Kenz Dale wrote:
...that quick climb rates aren't necessary if the forward flight speed is very low.

Seems like it would depend on where and when you want to takeoff. Some airports have shorter runways with sink, strong wind and wind shear close to the ground on good soaring days. Slow speed over the ground leaves me in the sink for a longer time. Low climb rate leaves me in the wind shear for longer. Low airspeed and windshear seem like a bad combination.