Old July 18th 03, 10:01 PM
Marty Ross

I made sure I answered every question in Gleim, made flashcards for things I
needed to memorize, took an AmericanFlyers 3 day ground school, and glanced
at various computer based learning devices.

I didn't find the ASA DVD helpful for learning -- perhaps as a review it was
OK, but then who has the time to sit through 6 hrs. of DVD 'entertainment'
when you're cramming for a test? I think the traditional classwork and
bookwork was the best use of my time.

I actually waited until I was done with my practical ("in flight")
instrument lessons, and this was a mistake. By the time I finished the
written work, I needed A LOT of review with the air work to prepare for the
checkride. However, I'd recommend to do at least SOME work in the air
before starting to study, as the ground stuff had more meaning for me in
context.

As far as other computer learning aids, I did use and find helpful various
"demo" versions of IFR test prep software, just when I had a few minutes to
spare, and a browser. Perhaps the easiest one to use is at:

http://www.webexams.com/

Just login as "Guest" and take their IFR test (they randomize 60 questions
for you -- answer as many questions as you have time for). I ask for
immediate feedback so I don't have to complete the test to know how well I'm
doing... I think it's also helpful to get into the habit of answering the
questions on a computer terminal, since that's how the test is given at the
FAA designated test center.

"Grey Stone" wrote in message
I am thinking about getting my IFR rating. I have seen different
DVD/Video Training sets to get you ready for your IFR written. Does
anyone have any opinion on these? Are they a waste of time? Should I
just start doing my IFR and working on the written prep with an
instructor?

I appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,

Grey