Old January 16th 05, 03:46 PM

I was working the back side of St. John's Mountain (30 west of
Williams, Ca) when I caught a wing flash out of the corner of my eye.
All right, got some company. Maybe he can find that get home thermal,
I'm not having much luck at it. We worked the 5 knot westerly breeze
for over an hour, finally caught a thermal off the southern spur and
climbed out. Who did I spend a very pleasant hour with? A PARAGLIDER.
The pilot knew all my tricks and had a few of his own, like pulling
hard on one riser and rotating on a dime. I can still see that
beautiful elliptical wing with its pilot that seemed to be suspended in
space. I never got above him in my 42:1 glass slipper.

Our local club has gained several ex-hang glider pilots as they turner
45 and felt the need for more structure around them. I would suggest we
have more in common than either group realizes.
JJ Sinclair