Old February 27th 04, 06:20 PM
Tarver Engineering

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
All modern jets have the same issue. It is a natural byproduct of
integration. My first plane, a Turbo Lance, had independent avionics

and
instrument and no integration. My current plane, a Mitubishi MU-2

Marquise
has a SPZ500 flight director/autopilot system which is more

integrated..
The altimeter is merely a display for an airdata computer located in

the
nose for instance. The trend is not new. If there are enough G1000s

in
service, other companies will start making boxes which will interface

with
them.

If you have a jet, but small GA is going sole source.

The G1000 is not being installed only in small GA, so that assumption dies
right there. The Citation Mustang will have it, and it appears that the
Caravan and some other Cessna jets will offer it at least as an option.

As long as small GA operators are willing to pay jet prices for avionics
they will be available. The new AS9100 requirement will eliminate most of
the small players that are not already frightened away from small GA by
liability issues.

I suppose that when Sperry came out with the first steam gauges that there
were people complaining about being locked into a sole supplier and that
those new-fangled gauges would never replace seat-of-the-pants flying.

Honeywell is expensive.

Most of the objections to the G1000 so far sound like so much ignorant
squawking. It is hard to take any of them seriously. I doubt if the
complainers have so much as even seen one of the installations, let alone
tried to use it. When we get some people who know what they are talking
about, then maybe I will pay attention.

There is no problem with Garmin's products. In fact, the high quality and
reasonable price is part of why they are headed toward owning the market.

I myself like the G1000 at first blush, but only because it is pretty. It
does not appear to add any real capability other than WAAS, dual
glideslopes, etc., which you could get just as easily from the CNX-80 and
MX-20 displays.

The free flight Garmin equipment flying in Alaska is excellent and cheap.
so cheap that you can get the entire system for less than a Honeywell TCAS.
Honeywell has a digital display offering, but it can not compete at the
price Garmin is offering.