Old January 3rd 05, 12:31 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Darrell Criswell" wrote in message
How important is the rudder to making Flight Simulator a realistic
experience. I want to use MS FS to assist me in taking flying
lessons. I wonder if the rudder will make the training more realistic
or does it really matter.

Thanks

If I can respectfully offer you some professional advice on the use of
MSFS in student flight training......
I advise MS on realism and immersion for the simulator, and I'm a
professional CFI as well.
I've pasted in below part of a research paper I did on this subject for
a general aviation interest.

Dudley Henriques wrote;

I've done considerable consulting on this issue for various interests in
the flight instruction community and have also worked with MS on the
simulator and various software developers as a realism, immersion, and
flight dynamics advisor.
My opinion, after doing considerable research on the issue concerning
the possible use of MSFS by new student pilots entering initial flight
training was that the sim should be totally avoided by new students
during the initial
stages of flight training before solo.

It's during this period that the physical cues and control pressures in
the real aircraft as far as control pressure
vs response is concerned are in direct conflict with the simulator due
to software
and controller inconsistencies and differences between the real life
scenario and the simulator.
Much of the initial training in the real
airplane deals directly with a learning curve not only dealing with
control use and interrelationship, but required control PRESSURES,
singularly, and in combination (aileron/elevator/rudder) as this
combination
relates to the aircraft's movement though it's air environment
through a constantly changing dynamic in both speed and wind
velocity both real and relative.
It's an extremely complicated learning environment, especially before
solo, and dealing with it requires a
protracted period of exposure that can actually be prolonged and made
more difficult for the student if the student has to deal with any
outside artificial influence such as a desktop flight simulator.
I also found that once the basics are ingrained in the student and
the student reaches the PROCEDURES stage, and that includes instrument
work, the sim has some limited use as a training tool, IF used, and I
stress the word IF used, in conjunction with a competent CFI.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired