Old November 22nd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default My first solo - and the worst flight of my life

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Were you paraphrasing or was your instructor actualy using the F word?
That is usually a sign of a CFI who isn't in control of the situation.
A good CFI shows little emotion in the cockpit. We also know how to
only sweat on the right side (the student should never see you sweat).
I've not been in a situation with a student where I've lost my cool,
I can't imagine what that situation would be. If you're not happy with
a student's airspeed control you just tell them. No reason to get upset
about it. As the CFI you get to fly tomorrow either way, the student
may not

I tried to land me and my instructor in a corn field along side the
runway early in my training (pre-solo). I was cross controlled for a
cross wind and all of the sudden my partially trained brain decided that
wasn't right and I cranked in aileron in concert with the rudder I was
holding and off toward the corn field we went. Once about 75 feet off
the center line and maybe 30 feet about the corn, Dick said "get the
throttle in" (he actually said it twice, a little louder the second
time!), which I did and he slipped us back over the runway and landed.
He couldn't get to the throttle has in the little C150 he always had is
left arm behind the pilot's seat.

He laughed about it the rest of the day and told everyone I was the
first student who had tried to kill him that day. I figured if trying
to kill a man didn't get him angry, then he was a pretty good instructor!

Matt