Old April 5th 04, 02:51 AM
Big John

Brian

Same problem I had with my Mk20C (turbo normal, manual gear )

Cage is great for safety but hell on compass headings.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````

On 1 Apr 2004 07:09:40 -0800, (Brian Cox) wrote:

(Robert M. Gary) wrote in message . com...
It was recommended to me that I should rent a degausser to get my
compass to behave more reasonably. I called a dealership that rents
it, they are asking $50 plus shipping for 1 week's use. They said it
requires power. I'm having trouble invisioning what this thing is. I'm
also curious what it would be like to ship. Is it something big like a
vacuum cleaner?
-Robert

I had a problem with the compass in a Mooney M20C. It was also
recommended that I try degaussing the steel cage. I got a lot of
conflicting advice about degaussing. Since I'm based in Colorado, I
also considered the effects of P-static. That is because the compass
errors (approximately 40 degrees) were intermittent. In the end, I
bought a kit of static wicks from Mooney and installed them per STC.
The compass problem was fixed. I haven't seen any other Mooney's in
this area with static wicks, but most all Cessnas have them.

On the price of $50 for one week's use - that sounds about right. It
may be my error, but I'm assuming you have a Mooney, and that the
degausser is avaiable from LASAR (Lake Aero)? Another alternative is
to put a remote compass sensor in the tail and the compass head in the
panel, but that is a bit pricey.

Good luck,
Brian
Former owner M20C