Old August 6th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

Gattman wrote:
"James Sleeman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 4:52 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

It's a nice idea, but realisitically there are too many problems, not
the least of which is battery size, weight, cost and safety. I don't
really see batteries as a viable in the near future (I struggle to
see them as viable in the distant future either).

It depends on the demand. During the worldwide battlebots craze a
few years ago there were marked technological improvements in battery
technology in the course of about four years. I imagine hybrid
vehicles are really going to push the state of the tech. It might
not be viable yet, but if there's sufficient motivation and
investment it could really happen.

Come on, it's not like there isn't sufficient motivation out there now and
it isn't coming from battlebots. If anyone comes up with a battery that can
power and automobile for 4 hours at highway speeds and is affordable to
produce they will be very wealthy.

If they can make one that is as efficient as a tank of gasoline they will
shortly become very, very wealthy.