Old December 6th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Exhaust stud hole needs help

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:49:54 -0500, Dave wrote:

Hi all,
I have an exhaust stud hole in my cylinder which is about half gone.
I removed the exhaust stack and part of the helicoil is showing and upon
further investigation, it looks like about half of the threads holding
in the helicoil are gone. The stud and the nut came in one piece. I
removed the helicoil since it isn't doing its job anymore and I'm
curious about the next course of action.

The helicoil is a 5/16-24 and it should have been a 5/16-18.

I suppose I could put in a new one and hope the remaining threads will
hold the coil and stud, but I'd rather fix it better.
I'd also rather not pull the cylinder and have the hole filled and retapped.

Any good suggestions out there? Some sort of threaded insert?

Thanks

Dave

sad to think that it is time to make the faithful old cylinder into a
door stop but that is the likely outcome.

exhaust studs are made in about 10 sizes of oversize to counter the
wear in the cylinder threads but having a helicoil negates all that.

go shopping for a new one (cylinder).

Stealth Pilot