Old January 8th 11, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default ClearNav Vario

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 15:29:30 -0600, Paul Remde wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing. My web site crashes Safari on my iPhone too.
It works fine on Safari on my PC and Internet Explorer on my PC. It is
strange that it crashes Safari on the iPhone because it is a very simple
site layout. I use only tables for layout - nothing advanced to be sure
it will work with any browser. I wonder if it is the pop-up menus that
are causing the problem on the iPhone - or perhaps the large number of
images on every page...? Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing
the issue?

Are you running your pages through an HTML validator before publishing
it? I always use HTML Tidy, which was originally written by the W3C, so
it can safely be taken to be authoritative. I've certainly never had
problems reported on my pages, which are not published until I've found
and fixed all warnings and errors.

Unlike some other tools, HTML Tidy isn't a content critic and doesn't
enforce any page formatting rules: all it cares about is that standards-
compliant HTML tags are used in the right order, are nested appropriately
and contain standards-compliant attributes.

You can get HTML Tidy from he http://tidy.sourceforge.net

I see that you're using Microsoft FrontPage 6.0 to maintain your site.
This could be a source of the problem since MS tools used to generate
notoriously non-standard HTML and hadn't a clue about the correct order
to use tags in or how to nest them. They've improved since then because,
when I ran the referenced page through HTML Tidy just now it reported 284
warnings but no errors. Earlier MS tools would have generated a page that
contained as many errors.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie