Old December 11th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cost to install a canopy?

Roger,

Tons of good posts here. FWIW, I've done a couple of canopy repair jobs
(not complete replacements), and everything mentioned elsewhere holds
true:

- It's doable if you are average to above-average handy with tools and
finishing work.
- Figure out how long you think it will take. Then triple that
estimate.
- It can be very satisfying.
- The downside risk is pretty high.

I'm probably in the "above average" category in terms of experience
working with filler,epoxy, and finish sanding, and I've managed to get
results ranging from decent to spectacularly poor. If the canopy is
already in pretty bad shape, then attempting a home-grown repair or
refurbish may not be such a bad thing. You might learn something, and
the worst that happens is you have to get the new canopy after all.

Erik Mann (P3)