Old September 14th 03, 02:59 AM
Guy Alcala

Brian wrote:

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least,

they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

We all know everyone would never violate trade sanctions......

Sure, people/companies/countries cheat. No sanctions regime is 100% effective
and some a lot less than that, but it does tend to pit a crimp (of greater or
lesser extent) in procurement and support. I haven't seen any accounts so far
of what SAMs other than Manpads (and Patriot;-) ) we had to face this time
around, but don't recall any great number reportedly being used. I would
certainly think Iraq would have trouble keeping any Hawk batteries they got
from Kuwait in '90 in service, assuming any survived '91 and the intervening
years. They definitely used them in DS.

Guy